Sunday, June 14, 2009

What is a Blog?

Many people have asked me what is a blog: "What do you do with it?"; "How do I access it?" "How do they work?"

Since you are looking at this blog, you've already managed the most important part. I am just learning about this tool myself, hoping that it will be of interest to some people, and that it will help our collection of Blyth history fulfill our high expectations.

Do a web search for "What is a blog" and you will get many web pages that will help you understand what blogs are all about.

blog - It's a short form for Web Log. It is situated on the Web, and it's my log book or a kind of public diary. As for the content, it will include mainly my thoughts, ideas, stories, and hopefully, you and others will make some comments about what I write. Disagree with me, agree with me, chat with me, ask me questions, answer my questions, correct my mistakes. With your help, this blog could become really interesting. So help me brighten up this one-way chatter and make it a conversation.

You may choose to join this group and become a follower if you want to keep in touch regularly. I honestly do not know the benefits of joining and following. Perhaps someone out there can enlighten all of us by entering a comment below about what it all means.

Comments will be visible to me and anyone else looking at the blog.

I have a special request of you. If you know people with a Blyth connection who you think might be interested in this "stuff", tell them about the address of this blog: http://allaboutblyth.blogspot.com and suggest that they look in an leave a message or comment.

We have developed this Repository of Blyth History. It is helping dozens of people find out about their ancestors who once lived in Blyth. That's one of the main purposes.

Over 200 families have either requested information or have provided us with their information - and many have done both. It is turning out to be a tremendous resource. Many of our contact people are planning to come to Blyth this summer to look at our collection - some for the first time, some for the second or third time. They are coming from Northern Ontario, from Michigan, from Ottawa, from Kitchener-Waterloo, as well as closer to Blyth.

The Huron Historical Society's publication called Huron Historical Notes 2007 is entirely devoted to Blyth and our collection. There are still a few copies available at the Citizen office (weekly paper in Blyth) as well as the Huron County Museum in Goderich, Ontario. They cost only $8.00. If you need one mailed to you write to me at the address below and add $3.00 for mailing.

Brock Vodden
Box 492
Blyth, Ontario N0M 1H0

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers