Sunday, November 21, 2010

Bert McElroy Writes Home About Vimy - 1917











Private Bert McElroy, a young man who was born and grew up in Blyth, was an ambulance driver for the Canadian Army in World War 1. Bert is seen above at the back of his ambulance.
==

In 1917 he wanted to write home to the home village to tell them what has been happening in that terrible conflict. What better way to accomplish this "mass mailing" than to write to the editor of the local paper?

===

The Blyth Standard at that time was owned and edited by J.H.R. Elliott. Just last week the Elliott-Nixon Insurance Agency celebrated its 100th anniversary. The following is how the letter appeared in the Blyth Standard of July 19, 1917.

The editor has pleasure in presenting to readers of the Standard, the
following letter received on Tuesday:

Mr. J.H.R. Elliott

Blyth Ontario

Dear Sir:- As some time has passed since I wrote you my last letter, I think you are nearly due for another. Well, Mr. Elliott, I have now been in France nearly seven months and during that time have seen quite a few things pulled off here. We have been pushed around pretty much all over but a change is sometimes as good as a rest over here. I guess my busiest time was after the battle of Vimy Ridge and Messines, but between times is very often slack and so consequently we get longer rests than the infantry or artillery units. I don't think I shall ever forget what we had to do after the Battle of Vimy. We were kept busy day and night dressing wounded and getting convoys of them sent down to be loaded on boat for England. During all my time in France I have never been lucky enough to run across any of the boys from near home. Lots of Ontario and Western Canada boys passed through our hands but none that I knew.

The Huron boys reinforcing the 58th Canadians are about 40 miles from me from what the wounded in the same brigade as them say. So I guess there is a very slim chance of my ever seeing them over here. The other morning I was awakened by hearing the anti-aircraft battery firing and on getting up saw them pounding away at a German taube plane. Fritz was too high up for them to hit him but it was plain the concussion of the shells was giving him trouble in the way of controlling the machine.

As I am quite a few miles back it is seldom we see an air fight but always hear the guns pounding and see the star shells at night.


I have been getting The Standard all along and always hate to be disappointed in not gettingit, as it is practically the same as getting a letter from home.


We are getting plenty to eat over here and cannot complain at all to the way of comforts. Right here I may mention the good work being done by the Blyth Girls' War Auxiliary who are so lavishly keeping the boys from Blyth supplied with good warm socks. They are a thing always useful out here, especially to those in the trenches.

Well, Mr. Elliott, I must now close trusting to still receive the Standard as before; also remember me to Mrs. Elliott and family.


Very truly yours,

No. 528700 Pte. T. A. McElroy

No. 2 Can. Stat'y Hospital

B.E. F. France









No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers