Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Who is qualified to comment on school issues?

There have been comments made by members of the Avon Maitland District School Board, members and staff, that "ordinary" people should leave school administration up to them, the experts who understand the issues and are wise by virtue of their membership in AVMDSB.

That attitude is sheer arrogance - a stance that people fall back on when they are incapable of explaining or justifying what they are doing.

I also want to make it clear that many of the most adamant critics of this Board are knowledgeable and experienced people in the field as former board members, current and former teachers and officers in this and other school systems.

As for me, I believe that my background entitles me (with a touch of arrogance) to at least comment on what is happening to our schools. I have the degrees of Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Education, Master of Education. I have taught in elementary schools, high schools, college. I have worked as a curriculum and language arts consultant, and was a superintendent of education. I was a senior administrator in one of Ontario's community colleges. In the course of my work in these positions, I also served as an advisor to provincial educators on education in remote northern Ontario schools.

And I am also one of those ordinary people who feel strongly about our community, its families, and its children.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers