Thursday, January 3, 2013

Time for Leadership, Mr. Harper

CHIEF SPENCE HAS A COMPELLING ARGUMENT

In case my previous letter was too lengthy for your staff to read, here is the short version.

In 1968 I made my first visit to Attawapiskat on the coast of James Bay. I found about 20 children who could not attend school because there was no room for them in the one-room school. I persuaded Indian Affairs to build a temporary classroom immediately, hire another teacher, and put plans in motion to build a new school of appropriate size and quality.

A few days ago, we learned from Attawapiskat residents that the same condition exists today. Kids are again prevented from education for lack of space in the school.

That's just one reason why you need to talk, in person, to Chief Spence. The Minister of Aboriginal Affairs is a nice harmless man, but he's not up to the task presented by this situation.

Please, do your duty.

Brock Vodden

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers