Friday, April 20, 2012

EMPLOYEES AT WORK

Some time ago I was shopping at a retail outlet in this area. One of the employees in that store who knows that I am a councillor, came over to me to tell me about one day when he called in at our office in Wingham. As he was being looked after at the wicket, he noticed two other employees standing off to one side having a conversation. He reported that this conversation went on for several minutes, two employees standing there not doing any work at all. Imagine how much that is costing the tax payers! I asked what they were talking about. He said that he couldn't hear what they were saying. I suggested that they might have been discussing township business. "Oh, no. One of them was laughing about something." Then I asked if both of the people were employees. Could it be that one of them was a resident getting help from a staff member? He said he had no idea whether that was the case, but it looked to him as if they were enjoying the conversation - not doing business.

Finally, I suggested that the situation he was telling me about was quite similar to the situation he and I were in. "You are hired to work in this store, but you have taken some time off to tell me abut something completely unrelated to your job. what's the difference in this case?"

I guess he had never thought about the fact that when we point a finger at someone else, there are three other fingers on the same hand pointing back at us!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers