Friday, April 27, 2012

Picture about our Family Business


We never know what is going to arrive in our post office mail box, our email box, or at our front door. There are very few weeks in which we fail to receive at least one surprise - a contribution to our collection of Blyth memorabilia. This week was no exception.

The above picture of a wedding cake came this week by surface mail. At first I ignored the cake and was trying to identify the people. I soon realized that the cake was the main feature since I did not recognize the ladies behind it.

This cake came from Vodden's Home Bakery in Blyth for a wedding taking place in 1947. That was my family's first business up to 1953. My parents were Harold and Myrtle Vodden. Their bakery in 1947 was located in the building now occupied by Sharon's Miniature Museum on Queen Street.

The picture was sent to us by the bride of that wedding that took place 64 years ago. What a kind and thoughtful gesture!

She sent the following note with the parcel:

"Dear Brock and Janis:

I am slow to mail this picture.
Your Mom was sick with an infected tooth at this time, but she did a great job."

My mother did all the cake decorating for their business as well as most of the pastries. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers